F1 legend Michael Schumacher “formed and altered the game without end” says Mercedes boss Toto Wolff, as tributes are paid to the seven-time world champion on his 50th birthday.
The German is probably the most profitable F1 driver and received a report 91 Grands Prix.
In 2013 he suffered critical head accidents in a snowboarding accident and has not been seen in public since.
“We’re doing all the things humanly attainable to assist him,” his household mentioned in a press release on Wednesday.
The previous Ferrari driver is being handled at his dwelling in Switzerland, however little is understood about his restoration.
Schumacher made his debut with Jordan in 1991, earlier than becoming a member of Benetton, the place he received back-to-back drivers’ championships in 1994 and 1995.
A transfer to Ferrari in 1996 culminated in an unprecedented interval of success, profitable 5 successive titles from 2000-04.
He briefly retired in 2006, however returned with Mercedes in 2010 for 3 seasons, earlier than retiring for a second time.
“Not solely did he [Michael] set an unimaginable report – a report that’s but to be crushed – however he additionally formed and altered the game without end,” mentioned Wolff.
“As a driver, Michael took F1 to an entire new degree together with his consideration to element and his technical data.
“He did all the things with nice dedication, from his engineering debriefs to his bodily coaching, and was at all times trying to find new methods to enhance his on-track efficiency.”
Though he by no means received a race with Mercedes, Wolff credit Schumacher with being the “one of many founding fathers of the success we’ve had within the final 5 years” which has seen the workforce win 5 consecutive titles.
Schumacher’s household have launched the Official Michael Schumacher App, which shall be a “digital museum” of the motive force’s achievements, whereas Ferrari have opened a particular exhibition at their museum in Italy.
His daughter Gina posted on Instagram, with the message: “Joyful Birthday to the very best dad.”
Schumacher’s profession in numbers
- 7 – a report variety of world championship wins – two with Benetton in 1994 and 1995, and 5 in a row for Ferrari from 2000 to 2004.
- 91 – race wins, from 306 begins – he stays 18 away from second-placed Lewis Hamilton on the all-time listing.
- 68 – pole positions, a report crushed by Hamilton in 2017.
- 15 – consecutive seasons with a grand prix win, from 1992 to 2006. It’s a report – three away from Hamilton.
- 8 – wins on the French Grand Prix, probably the most by any driver at a single race. His seven wins in Canada and San Marino are additionally unmatched by every other driver.
- 17 – podium finishes in 17 races within the 2002 season.
- 43 – age when he drove in his closing grand prix, in Brazil in 2012. He initially retired in 2006 however returned three years later.