A superb objective by former Liverpool ahead Asisat Oshoala helped earn Nigeria a primary win on the 2019 Girls’s World Cup – and all however finish South Korea’s hopes of reaching the last-16.
Nigeria went forward when defender Kim Do-yeon volleyed previous her personal keeper.
Ex-Arsenal participant Oshoala held off a defender earlier than rounding the keeper to attain Nigeria’s second objective.
South Korea, who face Norway of their third and closing group match on Monday, have but to attain or earn some extent.
Nigeria will affirm a spot within the knockout stage in the event that they beat hosts France, one of many event favourites, on Monday (20:00 BST) in Rennes.
Nevertheless, they might additionally advance as one of many 4 greatest third-placed groups.
“We stated once we began that we wished to be within the final 16. Nothing has modified,” stated Nigeria boss Thomas Dennerby.
“We have already got a superb staff spirit however possibly this win will give us slightly bit extra.”
Having certified for the World Cup after ending fifth on the 2018 Asian Cup, South Korea are anchored on the backside of Group A with a objective distinction of minus six.
They performed properly in spells towards the champions of Africa however an absence of leading edge in entrance of objective as soon as once more value them.
After shedding 4-Zero to hosts France of their opening group recreation, they fired extra blanks as Nigeria’s 18-year-old keeper Chiamaka Nnadozie had little to do.
Nigeria additionally got here into this recreation on the again of a defeat after shedding 3-Zero to Norway. and had misplaced their earlier three Girls’s World Cup video games.
Nevertheless, they had been gifted the lead when Kim put the ball into her personal internet whereas beneath stress from Nigeria’s captain Want Oparanozie.
There was a delay whereas the video assistant referee (VAR) checked for a doable handball towards Oparanozie.
But there was no luck in regards to the second objective, Oshoala producing an outstanding piece of high quality to attain one of many targets of the event up to now.
Chelsea midfielder Ji So-yun was booked for diving whereas attempting to win a penalty for South Korea when the rating was 1-0.
Nigeria finish 5 hour objective drought – the stats
- Nigeria had performed for 5 hours and two minutes since scoring their final World Cup objective.
- South Korea’s Ji So-yun was booked for simulation – the primary yellow card for simulation in a Girls’s World Cup match since Erika for Brazil v USA in 2011.
- Nigeria gained a World Cup recreation by a couple of objective for under the second time. They beat Denmark 2-Zero in 1999.
- Each personal targets at this World Cup have are available in video games that includes Nigeria.
- Nigeria saved their first clear sheet in 15 Girls’s World Cup matches.
- Nigeria are the primary staff to each rating and concede an personal objective on the similar Girls’s World Cup event since 1999.